Monday, September 10, 2007

I gotta tell you.. I am mildly irritated.. I am a soapmaker. I make and sell soap for profit. I list all the ingredients on my labels so you know exactly what you are getting. It really pi**es me off when I see someone selling soap and they do not list the ingredients. When I purchase something, I expect to at least be entitled to know what it is that I am buying.

Since the ingredients were not listed on the website completely, I "assumed" that they would be on the packaging.. So I went ahead and bought some soap. It arrived and nope... no ingredients. This soap is used to wash my soakers that will be put on tiny soft baby skin. Would you put something on your child washed in something you have no idea what it is made of? Not me.. I may not be able to understand what some things are in the ingredients list, but at least if there is a problem, I can provide the ingredients to the doctor.

I emailed the gal making the soap. She stated she was afraid that someone would "copy" her recipe. I just laughed. Anyone making soap knows you cannot completely copy a recipe just by knowing the ingredients. You would have to know the exact proportions of each ingredient to copy it and that is impossible to know just by looking at the ingredients.. LOL How stupid. I understand wanting to protect your hard work, but for you to completely disregard the common labeling practice is just dumb.. I want my customers to know exactly what they are using.. LOL

Okay enough venting. back to knitting. Hope to have my next pair done tomorrow.. Only one lef left.. LOL. Have dyed by me I might add..

Stay tuned..

Okay.. posted edited. I couldn't resist. Here I am to date with it..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hehehe you know what is really funny about the labeling is I think you are required by law to list everything on the label. I know that you can request a MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet)on any chemical that you purchase and it will tell you if there is anything dangerous in it! So if 3M has to give you what they put in everything I'm sure they are more worried about there top secret product then she could ever possibaly be!

Just my two cents!

EarthNative (a frind from Hippysew!)

Lana said...

LOL!! One would think. She seems to think that she has gold or soemthing..
I always list everything just to be safe.