Sunday, August 12, 2007

Well.. this post is not my usual sort of post. I want to remind all of you that driving is an everyday occurance. You have a right to drive, but you also have a right to be safe while you are driving. It is your responsibility to make sure you are in safe condition to be driving when you are behind the wheel. This is what we were called out for at 12:30 am Saturday morning. The man driving this truck was tired. He fell asleep behind the wheel of a semi carrying hazardous material. Dry Ice. Very dangerous...
Take a look at these pictures and think of them every single time you get behind the wheel either tired or drunk or just plain in no shape to be driving..
I love you all.. I show you these only to help you understand what type of business I am in and what I see everyday.. It is scary and I hope that none of you ever have to see this or be part of it.. by the way. the driver of this truck survived. He broke his back and is covered in cuts, but he is alive and not paralized.. AMAZING!!






7 comments:

Chalyn said...

My husband used to drive. I was so happy when he came off the road, but this makes me all the more grateful. It was great money, but drivers are pushed so hard to get somewhere fast. The risks just weren't worth it for us. Thanks for sharing this.

BN Farrington said...

Your are one amazing lady to continue this type of work. God will bless you richly, because you care. Blessings, Bev

Lana said...

My ex husband still drives and it really scares me because this really could be him one day..
Dh used to drive, but gave it up about 4 years ago. I have seen it all since we started doing accident recovery. It scares the crap out of me each time. You never get used to it and you never get desensitized. I have to admit that when I walked up to the truck and seen the wreckage I was crying. I just couldn't stop myself. That driver had someone watching his back. Cause he by rights should have died that morning.
Hugs to you both..

loraine said...

Wow, how did he survive? My dad is a retired Safety Manager for Ryder Truck Systems. He's seen some scary stuff. His license plate says "Safe-T" because our last name begins with T. I always hope it's reminding people of driving more carefully. Wow, that guy was incredible lucky.

Anonymous said...

Yes, the driver did have someone watching his back, and thank GOD that someone was also watching the backs of all the people that he DIDN'T hit!
I don't understand why anyone would drive in this condition....
I'm thankful he lived through it and hope he'll tell everyone his story!
Thanks for posting!

Lana said...

I think that most people do not realize that once your body reaches a certain point, it will shut down no matter what you are doing. Even drivng. I cannot imagine what load is so important that it cannot wait to you to get needed rest.

I just hope that when people see things like this it reminds them of how dangerous it is. Especially for the people in cars. Imagine what could have happened if there was a car nearby or on the road below him. I cannot even imagine how horrible that would have been. Not to mention what that man (who is a really nice guy) would have had to deal with.

Anonymous said...

Well, Lana, my brother was in an accident with his motorcycle and survived. His cycle isn't too badly damaged and he isn't as badly damaged as he could have been. He doesn't believe in wearing a helmet. This with our dad who was the Safety Manager. He has three broken ribs and a broken collarbone. I saw the x-ray- it's really broken. Wish that he would get it in his head that drinking and driving isn't a good combination. Thanks again for posting this.